2020 Maryland History Day
Parents and Students - Read the updated State Registration Guide
Theme: Breaking Barriers in History
District Contests: Throughout Maryland, District Contests are held in February and March 2020
State Contest: The statewide contest will be held digitally.
National Contest: National History Day will be held virtually on June 14-18, 2020.
Visit marylandhistoryday.org for resources like topic lists, research days, and online databases!
Important Deadlines (updated 3/20/2020)
- Online Registration: April 15, 2020, 11:59 p.m.
- Paper, Documentary, and Website Submissions: April 15, 2020, 11:59 p.m.
- Performance and Exhibit Submissions: May 3, 2020, 11:59 p.m.
- Announcement of results:
- May 2, 2020 (papers, documentaries, websites) View Results
- May 16, 2020 (performances and exhibits)
A PROGRAM OF
Welcome Maryland History Day Students
**The 2020 Maryland History Day Contest will be taking place digitally**
Please review the updated State Registration Guide
If your district contest used this registration system, please log in using the same username and password.
April 15th - Register by 11:59 p.m.
April 15th - Student papers must be uploaded to the registration site as a PDF by 11:59 p.m.
April 15th - NHD WebCentral Websites will lock by 11:59 p.m.
April 15th - Documentaries must be uploaded by 11:59 p.m.
May 2nd - Papers, websites, and documentaries results will be posted
May 3rd - Performances and Exhibits must be uploaded by 11:59 p.m.
May 16th - Performances and exhibits results will be posted
Note: There will be no interviews for the digital contest.
Resources for Students
A PROGRAM OF
Welcome Maryland History Day Teachers
Please review the updated State Registration Guide.
Are you going to the State Contest? Consider judging! You'll be able to support your students by being present at the contest and by contributing to the success of the contest day by helping other students excel! Register to judge by creating a new account with a new email and username.
Teacher Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LLCT3LD
Maryland Humanities is ready to help. Learn more about our google drive, teacher institutes, professional development, and classroom outreach programs on our website.
Join us for our free Summer Teacher Institutes this July! Earn 3 MSDE Professional Development credits and receive a travel stipend. Learn more at https://mdhumanities.wufoo.com/forms/z1lfwl6y04e7fbq/
Maryland History Day Teachers of the Year
THANK YOU for your tireless support of Maryland students and your work on behalf of Maryland History Day. We are thrilled to honor two of many outstanding Maryland History Day teachers at our state contest.
A PROGRAM OF
Welcome Maryland History Day Judges
**The 2020 contest will take place digitally**
Maryland Humanities thanks you for offering to serve as a judge for the 2020 Maryland History Day digital competition when nearly 700 students will arrive with History Day projects focused on the theme of “Breaking Barriers”
While most judges include humanities scholars, teachers, librarians, and museum professionals, anyone who wants to support students in this exciting learning experience may judge. You can play an important role by volunteering as a History Day judge – reviewing student projects, interviewing contestants, selecting the winners to advance to the national contest, and providing constructive feedback.
Judges Orientation Sessions
- We ask all judges to complete a short training module, which can be found here: http://bit.ly/MHDJudgeMod. You can also view supplementary materials at http://bit.ly/MHDJudgeToolkit
- Judge Training for our Digital Contest will take place via zoom on the following dates. Once you have been assigned your category, we will email you with more details about the training, including the links. Can't make the meeting? We will send a recording of the training for your to watch at a time that works better for your schedule
- April 18th, 2020,10:00am-11:00am: Documentary Judge Training
- May 5th, 2020, 5:00pm-6:00pm: Exhibit and Performance Judge Training
- Paper and websites judges will receive an email with trianing materials
Digital Contest Overview
- Maryland History Day is going digital! The judging for this contest will be held in two portions; papers, websites and documentaries will be judged from April 17th through May 2nd, and performances and exhibits will be judged from May 5th through May 16th. You are welcome to sign up to judge for whichever session best fits your schedule or for both sessions. Much like an in-person contest, the time committment for judging is around 5 hours for project review, deliberation, and evaluation.
- With this new format, the dates for judging have shifted to the below schedule. Depending on which round you judge, you will have anywhere from 3 to 6 days to complete your rankings.
- April 17 - 27: first round paper, website, or documentary
- April 29 - May 2: final round paper, website, or documentary (experienced judges only)
- May 5 - 13: first round exhibits or performances
- May 14-16: final round exhibits or performances (experienced judges only)
Resources for Judges
Our Judge Toolkit google drive contains all the documents below as well as helpful tips, project examples and more.
Please note: This registration site is only for the Maryland History Day state contest. If you would like to judge at your local contest as well, please contact the district coordinator.
A PROGRAM OF